Saturday 20 November 2010

End of Module OUGD101 Self-Evaluation...

Kirsty Hardingham

1.       What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have learned a lot during this module, i think the main thing is that the generating of ideas are endless and there is so many ideas and solutions you can generate from one brief. I found this out during the design a typeface brief, i had so many ideas and didn’t know which one to draw up as a whole alphabet and glyphs, i asked a tutor what they thought and they said i should draw them all up. Once i had drawn up about 7 versions i just kept designing. I really enjoyed this brief and pushed myself to the limit and since then i have been doing the same thing in present briefs. I have also learnt how to use illustrator, at start i hated it because i got frustrated but now i do a lot of work on it.

2.       What approaches to/ methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
With my design context blog i have gathered pieces of design that i find inspiring, which helps when i need some ideas. Im not really sure how i research to be honest, i just do it. With the research week brief of researching a headline i gathered information about tattoos and the history of them which helped me gain an understanding of what tattoos were used for and how they were recognised, this impacted my design and i developed my ideas from there.

3.       What strengths can you identify in your work and how/ will you capitalise on these?
I have now got to the point where i will experiment constantly with ideas, good or bad ideas is still an idea and ive learnt to take criticism as a learning curve.

4.       What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

I think that i could improve my digital skills, because throughout this module i have had the chance to develop work digitally but didn’t always do it because i wasn’t confident enough so i may have lost a few good or maybe bad digitised versions of ideas. I try hard to use illustrator but often get frustrated so i guess that is something i can work on.

5.       Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

-          The first thing is to push my digital skills to the next level to ensure i can experiment fully with a wider range of media.
-          Generate more ideas in a brief to have a wider choice in what to develop onto the final processes of a final solution as i felt with some briefs i didn’t push myself enough with my ideas and when you realise its the deadline for the brief and there was other things you could of done it makes you feel like you could have done better when actually its too late now.
-          Learn how to manage my time properly and effectively, i am quite good at this but some days i get lazy and just go home and do nothing when really i could have thought up several more ideas in college that could of made a big difference to a brief.
-          I wish that i had asked people constantly for advice on my work as it does really help, especially with people who aren’t afraid to tell you what they think. I know we have regular crits which are really useful but constant feedback is an essential part of a developing brief.
-          I wish i was able to speak more clearly about my ideas as i felt sometimes during crits i didn’t explain my ideas enough which meant people didn’t understand where i was coming from and i sometimes received unhelpful feedback.

6.       How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
5= excellent
4= very good
3= good
2= average
1= poor

Attendance= 4
Punctuality= 5
Motivation= 4
Commitment= 4
Quantity of work produced= 3
Quality of work produced= 3
Contribution to the group= 3

No comments:

Post a Comment