OUGD201// Design for print production: End of module evaluation;
1// What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
If I am going to be completely honest with myself, then I would say yes I have learnt a lot throughout this module, but when it has come to the point where I should be applying my new knowledge to my design work I think I could have done a lot better. Theres things like the application of colour through print, my final solution was in black and white and there is nothing wrong with that but maybe I should have eplored colour further, just for my own investigations. When it came to producing a final solution for the Good is brief, I found that I understood a lot about print and I did propose things for the printing of my final designs, I just wish I had been more organised and actually put the effort in to try and do some foil blocking and embossing etc. I now know a lot about print and how important it is, I have learnt things that I would have never of thought to be important before.
2// What approaches to/ methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
I have found out that there is so much more to printing than what meets the eye, after going to TEAM and looking around a professional printers, I realised how much thought and time goes into even the simplest of things like birthday cards, they we may take for granted in terms of print. I think I most enjoyed learning about all of the print finishes and what effect they have on a design. Another aspect that I found interesting after going to the printers was die cutting, its amazing how each net for packaging or even something that needs to be die cut has to be especially made! I have also learnt a lot about 'real life' print, things like billboards for example, they are everywhere but its not until we had spoken about large scale printing that I actually wondered how they were printed etc. I have a billboard outside my window and I have watched it being changed twice now and I get really excited about it, because I now appreciate it.
3// What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/ will you capitalise on these?
I think the main thing I have found over the last week of the module, is that I am starting to find myself as a designer and I think that is very important at this time. It may not be a strength but it definetly helps when it comes to designing things. I am very happy with my final solution, it took me a while to get into the swing of things but I am happy with what I have produced. I have also started to do a lot more supportive research within this module which has helped me understand certain areas of design and how it will impact my own design work. This is something I need to continue to do as it helps inspire me when I hit a brick wall in my idea generation process.
4// What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?
My biggest weakness through this module would have to be not trying things, like foiling and spot varnishing, I just dont feel like I made enough effort throughout this module and to be honest im disappointed in myself, I know I could have done so much better. I know that I would have enjoyed doing some foil blocking or even making a proper book for my work. I need to address this in the next module because not only will I actually enjoy trying new things, I will learn something new and my design ideas and work will benefit from it.
5// Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from these?
- I would of loved to have been a bit more experimental with things like foiling and spot varnishing, it just would have been interesting to see how it looked on my designs rather than me just proposing it.
- I wouldnt change my idea at the very last minute, I changed my idea 3 days before module submission which wasnt very smart. I didnt feel like my first idea was any good and I wasnt happy with it so I changed it. Next time I need to make sure I choose an idea that not only will I enjoy but will also work well as a piece of communication.
- I will try not to waste time or be lazy. I know for a fact that I have wasted a lot of time during this module messing about and I think this will definetly reflect in my grade. I had a 'i'll do it tomorrow' attitude and it did not help me at all.
- Try more things and generate more ideas at the beginning so that I have time to develop.
- Be more organised and stay late at uni, I know that if I go home I will get distracted so easily. I get more done when I stay at uni.
// Attendance: 5
// Punctuality: 5
// Motivation: 2
// Commitment: 2
// Quantity of work produced: 3
// Quality of work produced: 3
// Contribution to the group: 3