Before I concluded my final character designs I had a few initial designs. I was going to draw the whole of the animal but in the end decided to just do the heads to be different from what already exists in the previous Wind in the Willows books.
I found it very difficult at first to draw the characters as I was trying to draw them semi realistic but they just didnt look right.
I did make the mistake of thinking the otter was a main character.
I then drew these ideas out after I got quite stuck with the whole brief. I really liked the style and felt it worked a lot better with the concept.
These are my designs that I will be using for the final book cover.